Sun Protection in Schools
Help your school enjoy the sun safely
Sunburn during childhood can increase the risk of skin cancer later in life, so it’s important for school children to learn how to enjoy the sun safely.
We recommend that all schools develop their own sun protection policy.
School pupils are often outside on their lunchbreak when the sun is at its strongest. So it is important to offer sun protection in the summer term. Schools can become more SunSmart by:
- taking advantage of our resources for schools
- developing their own school sun protection policy
- download our poster, lesson plans and assembly plan for primary schools
- incorporating sun protection into the school curriculum
- making sure they provide sufficient shade in the school grounds
- warning parents about the dangers of too much sun
- organising a SunSmart sports day.
Younger children are often too busy running around to worry about looking after their skin. But as a parent you can make a real difference to the damage your children receive early in life. On this site you can: